DIY PAINTED VALENTINE HEARTS



I have been wanting to start making paint projects with Bruce, so with Valentine's Day coming up, it was the perfect motivation to get my butt in gear and get going! I love art & anytime Bruce shows an interest in creative things I get so excited.

I started this project with a quick Pinterest search for a homemade paint recipe & found a super simple one with only four ingredients that I'll share below. My #1 requirement was that the paint had to be edible, cuz if you have spent any time around toddlers & babies, you know how much they love to put stuff in their mouths, & I'm not about to poison my kids.

Bruce loved this activity & has been asking to "do painting" every day since. Rose, not so much. Although I think she was mostly mad that I wouldn't allow her to dump out the entire jar of paint.


materials

blank white paper
edible paint
paint brushes*
pencil
scissors

*paint brushes are optional. I didn't have any on hand, so we used our fingers instead.



edible paint recipe 

1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup water
food coloring

01. add ingredients together in a small bowl & mix it up! 

02. after mixing, I divided the paint into three empty baby food jars & added varying amounts of red food coloring into each jar to create a range of pretty pink colors. After the paint dries, the salt adds a nice shimmer.

03. store any leftover paint in the refrigerator.



directions

01. give your kid (or yourself) a blank sheet of white paper & let them go nuts on it -- the messier the better, in my opinion.

02. set the painted pages aside & let them dry. 

03. once completely dry, take your pencil & outline heart shapes on the backside of the painting. Don't worry about them being perfect -- I think a unique/homemade look is endearing.

04. cut out the hearts & erase any leftover pencil marks.

05. write a cute note on the back & send them off to your loved ones!



Comments

Popular Posts