Wildlife Sighting

SPOTTED: two real life, wild bucks, no more than 50 feet from my bedroom window! Just plain crazy.  Nate has told me about times when he's seen deer in the backyard, and we know that they eat the leaves off of the bottom halves of the fruit trees, but this is the first time I've seen them.  They had great big antlers and they were very cute.

I've been to Mammoth and other places and seen deer and other wildlife and it's still really cool, but their's something a bit magical about seeing them at your own home.  The yard here is such an oasis for the animals in the area.  A lot of them come here for their water.  Every once in a while there is even a coyote or two (or three) that will walk by.  They like to munch on the bunnies that like to munch on the grass.  As long as they don't munch on the cat, it's OK to munch on the bunnies (eek!).

I love the wildlife here.  There's an oak tree outside of our bedroom window that the deer were standing under which gets filled with Blue Jays every morning.  While they're not the most harmonious of birds, Nate and I love watching them hop around in the branches, picking the acorns off, and squawking at one another.

There's another group of teeny tiny birdies that like to fly in a group from tree to tree, moving their way slowly down then canyon into the backyard, then back up the canyon and over the hill.  They're so cute!  And those ones are nice to listen to.

Every once in a while I get sad thinking that when Nate and I move out of his parents house we wont have this closeness to nature.  Don't get me wrong, we're more excited than anything to have a place of our own to call home. But chances are that it will be a little apartment in the middle of a city, completely lacking in wilderness.  We're really nature lovers. We love hiking and just being outside. The beauty of the earth is just amazing, even in the dry desert we live in.  We'll get back to it eventually though.  No city walls will be able to keep us away!  And our adventures will become that much better because, as we all know, "absence makes the heart grow fonder."




Sorry if the photo quality isn't very good. In my rush of excitement I couldn't find our real camera anywhere! My phone had to suffice.



Comments

Popular Posts