Why now?

We went to the beach again yesterday with the Harts and Lauricellas. It was better this time.

I started working on a letter to Elder Philip Hampton. I hadn't heard from him in a while and I was talking to his sister Abbie on Sunday, so I asked her how he was doing. She said that he's been struggling a bit lately so I thought now would be the perfect time you send a letter of to him. I hope he'll find it strengthening. The Lord really does need good men like him out in the world to spread forth His message of hope and happiness.
I love his sister Abbie. She is so great! She's such a wonderful friend and I love having her to talk to and confide in. I don't think she realizes what a strength and a comfort she is. Love you Abbie Bluhm!

Dad went back to work yesterday for the first time. But he joined us at the beach at the end of the day for a bit before we headed home. I love the beach.
We had an...interesting... experience though. Just as we were leaving there was a helicopter landing on the helipad. James, Marsh. Whitney, and I were parked out on the street so when we saw it coming around we rushed over and pulled to the side of the road to stop and watch and get a few pictures. It was pretty neat!
Dad, Mom, and the little boys had parked inside in fence in the parking lot, so when they got over to were the helicopter was the road was blocked to wait for the helicopter to leave. So we all waited and watched.
After a few minutes watching and waiting an ambulance came down the road with it's lights flashing and it's sirens on. My first thought as I watched it come and turn in next to the helicopter, "Oh no. I don't want to be here." But we were trapped. Forced to sit and watch. Forced to re-live or re-create what happened to Sam all over again. At one point Whit turned to me and said how hard this must be on my dad, who was actually there when it happened with Sam. I agreed. I had been watching him the whole time and I could see the pain on his face as evident as the pain inside me.
Needless to say, the drive home was somewhat of a somber one. That was a bit too much too soon. There are no coincidences though. Never before have any of us ever seen anything like that, so why now? There must have been a purpose.
When we got home Dad, Mom, and I were able to have a nice talk about what happened up at scout camp and go into Dad's feelings about what happened more. Then Marshall called and Nick came home and we all had a good conversation, about our feelings and grieving and how to deal with it. I think what God was trying to tell us by having us see that scene was that we need to slow down. We're doing good but we need not try so hard to get on. We need to give ourselves time. Things like this need plenty of time, to grieve and to heal.

Comments

  1. First of all thank you for your cute shout out to me! You're sooo sweet.

    Second... I am so sorry you had that happen. It seems like it turned out to be a good thing, but I can't even imagine how tough all of this is. You and your family are always in my heart and prayers. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts