40 weeks


Waiting, waiting, waiting. That's how I spend my time these days. I was hoping to be waiting out the heat wave this weekend in the hospital, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Still no contractions. I think.

The most common question I've been asked in recent weeks is whether I'm "ready" and I'm not sure how to answer that. If you mean "ready" in the way of do I have all of the baby clothes washed and the bassinet set up, then yes. If you mean "are you ready to have your body back?" then double yes. I have been pregnant for long enough. But if you mean "are you ready for motherhood?" I can't give you a simple yes or no answer.

How can I be ready for something I've never before experienced? I've been waiting with anticipation for this new chapter in my life to begin for as long as I can remember -- especially during the last two years -- but I don't really know what's coming. I hear stories from experienced mothers about being sleep deprived, and I've read books all about labor, birth, and what to expect. Even still, I feel like there is so much I have yet to learn.

So I suppose all I can say is I'm ready to begin. 

Comments

Popular Posts